Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Done with the Foundation!

 This was the weekend I was determined to finish the foundation. I had less than 60 blocks to complete it. But...weather again. Saturday looked like my only day to get out there. But first I had to wait for it to warm up. Once it did I was out and going at it. And once again, I laid 47 blocks. That seems to be my average as I think I've reported that several times before. 

I was able to finish the back wall, and nearly all of the long side wall though. But by the time I cleaned up for the night, it was well past dark. Sunday was blustery cold with no chance to finish. Back to work on Monday, but only for a day. The kids Spring Break was this week and I would be staying home Tuesday and Wednesday with them. That gave me two more days, and as long as I had just one hour (weather be damned!) over those two days, I'd be done. I figured out I had 13 blocks left. And get this...of the 23 bags of concrete I had delivered I was done to...ONE. I had been averaging around 13-15, so I was hoping it would be enough. If it wasn't, I would make an immediate trip out for one bag. Yes I would. 

So on Tuesday I got out there, mixed up my last bag of concrete, set up the laser level again and went at it. It went smoothly while finishing the long wall, until I realized I had forgot to leave a space for the vent! No big deal, I'm just glad I realized it before it had set up and hardened. Wrapped around to the front wall and was done in no time. 

It turned out great. Everything came together great, perfectly level and absolutely square. I ran the laser level around the entire perimeter after I was done (just for fun) and got solid tones everywhere I put it. That's what a auto-leveling rotating laser level, a 4' level, a 2' level and a torpedo level will get you...if used correctly! And, the foundation is at the exact right height so that once the sill plate, joists and subfloor go down, it will be exactly even with the existing floor. This was critical as there will be a hallway and bedroom entrances from the old to new living spaces. The floor and ceiling (and roof too) must to be perfectly even with each other.

I must say, I'm glad it's over but I will actually miss it a bit. I fell into a groove and while still working very slow compared to professionals, I could keep a steady pace and work consistently. That is, until another batch of concrete had to be mixed up. And that I will not miss!

60 blocks this weekend, 297 total, to go...

That felt good to write. Now, on to setting the anchor bolts and sill plates. So more concrete mixing is still in my immediate future, great! But, off for a little Spring Break vacation to Corolla, NC. And also time to spend a couple of weekends and get the boat ready for the season. 

One other little note to mention. In this picture of a mason line block I used on parts of the foundation, shows an old wooden one. This I got from my Dad. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet he used these to build his own garage, back in like 1980 or so. Now how cool is that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment